Tuesday, September 16, 2008

as promised ...

I'm finally getting back on my feet and doing little things around the house. Kudos out to all the mothers out there, especially the ones with more than one kid. I don't know how much detail to share, so I hope I don't gross anyone out or offend. This is going to be kind of a lengthy one with ZERO pics, so bear with me.

After the barrage of people telling me that first time moms NEVER go early and because I was only dilated to a one, the day I had Corban I went to work like any other day. I started contracting around noon. I wasn't feeling the greatest, the contractions were coming pretty close, and they were starting to hurt a little. So, I went home. I told my work, "I may or may not be back in today." =) I went to Smith's Marketplace to do a little shopping (last minute items I needed for the baby) and had lunch with Joe. By this time, they hurt bad enough that I teared up in the store. That kind of freaked Joe a little bit.

I went home and called my doc when the contractions were 4-8 minutes apart. They suggested that I go to the hospital. I called Joe, called my doula and took a shower. Joe insisted we go to the hospital when the contractions were 4 minutes apart. It's a good thing we packed our hospital bag the night before. :)

I checked in at 4 or 5 o'clock and labored until 9:30 p.m. The contractions were pretty intense and I was exhausted. I even puked all over my bed and the floor. They checked me again and I was a 4! Only a 4?! Holy crap dang .. by this time I had had it and got myself an epidural. My doula asked if I wanted them to check me again before the epidural. No thanks. Just give me the drugs. The contractions were pretty dang close by this point and they expected me to hold absolutely still while they juiced me up! The anethiseologist did have a good story. He delivered a baby that they named Shithad (pronounced Shith-ad).

After the drugs started working, they checked me. I had finally made it to a 10! Oh happy day. My water had not broken yet, so the nurse paged my doc to have him break it. Dr. Noorda was just checking things out when my water exploded! It seriously sounded like a freaking water balloon bursting. I don't think it got on my doc, but it sure surprised him!

I started pushing around 10:45 p.m. and delived Corban at 11:31 p.m.

Mother-/Fatherhood is a HUGE adjustment, but it's getting better. Joe is so cute with our son. I think he is the proudest papa around. Joe has also been a huge help to me. I think he'll be glad when my emotions taper off a bit and I can actually talk to him without crying. =)

7 comments:

  1. ohh amber i'm so happy for you!! i was NOT offended, i'm so glad you gave the whole story!! i love hearing how it really is.. that way when my time comes, i'll know what to expect. it drives me nuts when people are just like everything went GREAT!! yeah right... anyway congrats again & i can't wait to see the handsome little guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a trooper! i can't believe you held out so long to go to the hospital! and went shopping! you're one tough cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we love you grandma agatha, yes we do. tear tear, add the hormones into the equasion, we are just a big boob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good birth story, so thanks for sharing. Ahd yes, the tears do taper off. Hang in there. I can't wait to see your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear the whole story. For some reason I like to hear all the details, no matter how crazy that may seem. Congrats, he really is a cutie, if we come to Logan sometime I want to see him, and his mom too, and I guess I had better meet his dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber - he is so adorable! Congratulations. Oh - I love hearing labor stories . . . I'm glad everything went well. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber- Corban is so cute. I bet you are so excited. Your going to be a great mom. I wanted to let you know that I am having a Scentsy party on Tuesday 9/23. I don't have your address to mail an invitation & I don't have your email so I leaving you a comment. It is a Open House from 6:30-8:00 at my house. Let me know if you are going to some and I will get you my address.

    ReplyDelete